Friday, December 27, 2013

HOW TO SAVE YOUR CELLPHONE FROM WATER DAMAGE

Information provided by:
Ashleys Green Life

(MY OPINION is to NEVER buy the over priced bags of rice from ANY retailer. You can do this for a FRACTION of the cost, and have it prepared if you are on the road, or at home. Kind of like a BUG OUT bag for your phone.)

Supplies needed:

  • 1/2 to 1 cup of UNCOOKED rice (I used short grain brown rice, but I'm sure you can use any variety)
  • a container or Ziploc bag of some sort to seal it up

Steps:

1.  Wipe off any additional water and
then place your water-damaged phone
in a container or bag with the
suggested amount of rice.  Making
sure to put some on the top
and some on the bottom.

2. Close up the container or bag...and wait. I waited
overnight, but you could try a few hours. 

Here's the Ziploc bag method my cousin used with
her water damaged iPhone. 

3. Hopefully the next step is to open the container or bag and then find a phone that you can turn on and that is back in working order! 


Questions:
For phones like a Blackberry, do you take out the battery and memory card?
I think this is optional, I took my battery out in hopes that the rice could absorb more from inside the phone, but I know this is not an option for those of you with iPhones, so see what works for you.

When to put it in rice...right after it happens or wait a bit?
I didn't learn of the rice tip until hours after it had happened, so I only know what happens when you wait 5-6 hours. But I'm sure it's possible to put it in shortly after it's happened to start the "drying process".

So there you have it, that's how I saved my water damaged cell phone with rice! I am still smiling about the savings.  Have you ever tried this method to save your cell phone or do you know of any other alternatives that are cheap and green? Share your experiences below or if you have any additional tips to offer.  ( :

No comments:

Post a Comment